Texas Jobs Charge Ahead
Texas’ job growth continues to lead the nation’s. The state posted the highest year-over-year increase in employment among the leading top job-growth states in March 2008. Texas also led the nation for jobs added in March — hiring 13,500 workers. More Fortune 500 companies are based in Texas than in any other state, according to Fortune magazine’s 2008 rankings.
Annual Employment Change by State
Jobs Added March 2007 – March 2008
- Texas was number one with 213,500 jobs.
- New York added 68,800 jobs.
- Washington added 53,300 jobs.
- North Carolina added 46,000 jobs.
- Colorado added 40,400 jobs.
Monthly Employment Change
Jobs Added February 2008 – March 2008
- Texas was number one with 13,500 jobs.
- Minnesota added 5,200 jobs.
- Colorado added 5,100 jobs.
- Utah added 4,600 jobs.
Top States for Fortune 500 Companies
Number of Companies Headquartered in State
- Texas was number one with 58 companies.
- New York has 55.
- California has 52.
- Illinois has 33.
- Ohio has 28.
Sources: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Texas Workforce Commission, Fortune Magazine.